Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Payback

The twins were six weeks old as of this past Monday, and they to celebrate by punishing Mom and Dad. Monday was a tough day all around, but it ended up good, resulting in their longest nighttime sleeping stretches yet... but it was a heck of a time getting there. The twins continue their daytime fussiness, which leads to them being overtired at night.

You know the day is never going to go right when it starts off like this (below). I came downstairs ready to go leave for work, only to find Sharon having to dual-feed them because they were complaining in stereo. I took over feeding Gavin, which of course, made me late to get out the door.




Here's the conspirators right before I left. I suspect they're thinking, "How can we really mess with Mommy and Grandma Cordes today?"



I arrived home from work to screaming children and barely had my coat off before Sharon handed off Evie to me. Sharon recounted the days events while I tried to soothe Evie, and told me how they had barely napped all day, and how Evie would just not stop fussing. Gavin was a a little better, but still a mess as well.

After a while, they were starting to calm down until Evie decided that months of being kicked in the womb by Gavin deserved a little payback and so she hauled off and slugged Gavin when I had them both on the couch. I saw the wind up, but she had clocked him before it registered with me as to what she was about to do. I already had the camera in my hand so I did get some pics of her follow through. I have to say it was a beautiful right hook! And Gavin took it like a... well, like a baby. But hey, he's got a legitimate excuse, ya know?

Boom! It took Gavin a few seconds to figure out what had just happened.



"Did she hit me? Hey, I don't like that!"



Apparently Gavin can't take it as well he dished it out. Payback is a pain, Gavin.



So Gavin went from "zen" to wailing (hit the video below). Look who's the Zen master now! Evie looks like she's ready to follow through with her left hook! This is Evie's version of "taking back the crib."



Sharon tried to get some dinners in the microwave for us (luckily our friend Laura had brought over some baked ziti the day before! Thanks Laura!). I couldn't calm one while the other screamed, so I tried walking both of the twins around to try and calm them down. By this time it's almost 8PM. As you can see, I still haven't even changed out of my suit yet. I was just slowly stripping off parts of it as the night wore on.



So they're quiet now, but they don't look tired yet!




8:30PM. Wide awake. Yay. I'm holding Evie on the couch, Sharon is holding Gavin in her left arm at the kitchen table while eating with her right.



A yawn! (see the video below). Maybe we're close.




She would go from staring at the ceiling, to crying and back to staring again inside of 30 seconds. It went on like that for half an hour.



Gavin finally, finally! when to sleep, but Evie was still up. We decided to give her a bath as that has put her to sleep before. In an odd turn, she cried during most of the bath and afterwards. I was still partially in my suit, by the way, when I gave her the bath. I was down to my undershirt, suspenders and suit pants.



Sharon was dismayed that the bath didn't work, but I held onto hope! After getting Evie into her clean outfit, I walked some laps around the first floor of the house and remarkably, she fell dead asleep in about five minutes. We put he down in the crib and she ended up sleeping until 2AM for a feeding, and slept until about 7AM; her longest sleeping stretches ever. Gavin was almost exactly the same, but he slept even longer during his first stretch. Of course, it couldn't be perfect: he peed through is onesie and sleep sack at 2AM and I had to do a full change of clothes on him.



I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! We're packing up the kids and heading to Grandma Cordes' house. It will be the first time we'll have both kids in the car and their first group trip outside of the house. We have the cutest "My First Thanksgiving" outfits too. Hopefully Evie won't spit up all over hers before the group photo!

Evie would like to say a special Holiday Hello(tm) to Katie Leslie! "Thanks for reading the Legendary Twins Blog, Katie! Don't let your brother, T.D., eat all the turkey! Happy Thanksgiving!"

No comments: