Friday, January 27, 2012

Gavin and Mommy

Gavin has always been rather "mommy-centered." By that I mean that he wants me to do everything with him and for him, like meals or putting him to bed or giving him a bath. When he's really upset, he only wants me.

In the last few months, he has wanted me to play with him all day long. He will say, "Mommy, I want to play with you. Let's play ... (fill in the blank here: racetrack, cars, superheroes, Tron cycles, puzzles, folders, monsters, painting, house, etc.)." He doesn't want to occupy himself, he wants me to pay attention to him constantly. Using the computer while he's around is simply not possible. Someimes I try to read a magazine but can rarely finish a paragraph.

It has gotten to the point where when other family members come over (to help out and give me a break), I end up having to leave the house, because he keeps saying that he only wants to play with me. He even pouted to Grandma Cordes that he doesn't like to play with anyone but Mommy.

On the other hand, he is capable of doing more things than ever. He is doing really well in school. His class has been talking a lot about giving compliments and how to talk to your friends. He recently started telling me, "Mommy, I like you." He had told me in the past that he loves me, but had never said that he likes me - then I found out that the kids in his class have been working on telling their friends that they like them. Now Gavin tells me, "Mommy, I like you," pause, "and I love you, too, at the same time." It's very sweet!

He always wants to do things himself, like getting undressed. But then he will ask me to carry or hold him "like a baby." Another example is in ice skating class, where he gets more confident and sure-footed each week, but he still has to be strongly encouraged to let go of my hand. It's an odd push-and-pull, where he wants to be independent but still wants me to be right there.

I know it won't last forever. Before I know it, he will most definitely not want me around all the time. He'll be asking me to drop him off a block away from school! In the picture below, he had just gotten a new haircut. I think he looks like he's 4 going on 14!




And in this picture, he wrapped up in a blanket from his bed (the blanket was actually supposed to be Evie's. Now it's Gavin's.) and looks like, well, a baby:




I try to keep the behavior in perspective and savor it while it lasts (while also getting out of the house once in a while to keep myself sane)!

1 comment:

Uncle David & Uncle Brad said...

Wow, that first picture is a great one! He looks like a young model! Tell him that Uncle David & Uncle Brad like and love him too. :)