Monday, December 8, 2008

The Journey to the Christmas Card Photo

As Christmas cards begin to arrive in mailboxes throughout the land, I thought it would be nice to share just how I managed to photograph two very mobile 13 month olds (with Evie also providing her perspective)...

First, I had this naive idea that Francis could tape wrapping paper to the wall, and we could sit the twins in front of it and take their picture. HA!!!! This is the only picture in which Gavin is actually sitting down and not standing up examining the wrapping paper, and / or Evie isn't crawling out of the frame.


"Hi, I'm Evie and I'll be your elf guide for my mom's crazy camera adventure."



"She thought that I would actually wear this silly hat! I said, NO WAY!"


"Ok, I caved in when she distracted me with my toy duck. But it was only for 30 seconds and then the hat was off again!"

"Here's my brother!"



"Is she done taking pictures yet, Gavin?"



"Was that Santa we just heard on the rooftop?"

"We love playing under the coffee table!"


"Just try and get us both looking at the same time!"


"Enough! I surrender!"



"Who wants to look at that camera when we have flashlights to play with?"


"Evie, don't you think Mom has taken enough pictures of us by now?"


"I sure hope so, Gavin! Here, you can have my shoe."



"Yay, she's finally done!"


Thanks for the commentary, kids. So after a day and a half of trying to get a candid shot, and 200 - 300 pictures (most deleted right away), I ended up with several to choose from. Now I am prepared for next year!

And, last but not least, here is the shot that Francis and I liked the most and used for our cards:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Thank God for digital cameras! It's always chaos trying to get that perfect shot---but sometimes it's fun to have one that's less than perfect. My friend one year had 2 toddlers and had them eating candy canes while wearing Santa hats, and was able to get a good shot that way! Whatever works! When you get ours this year, you can note the tear streaked face of Trevor! 2 year olds are so schitzo with their personalities!
Love---Gina G

Unknown said...

I just love checking the blog in the mornings. I can't believe how big they have gotten! They are so insanely cute. The best part about "their" commentary is that you know that is exactly what they are thinking!

Looney73 said...

It never even occurred to me how much work it must have been for you guys to try and take a photo of the twins together. Now having read the blog, I am that much more grateful that we only had ONE child at a time and am allowing some time in-between kids.

Anonymous said...

Too stinkin' hilarious! I LOVE the commentary - I can only imagine how the photo shoot went. Isn't it funny how moms and dads can verbalize what the kids are thinking?? Great stuff - ho ho ho to all 4 of you!