Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Evie Update - Day 1

Evie has completed her first full day in the hospital. She is on IV fluids and they are helping to hydrate her and get her electrolytes straightened out. She is still puffy and doesn't want to eat or drink much. Here is how she looked yesterday right before she left for the hospital, poor thing:



Evie didn't sleep well last night. The nurses had to keep sticking her to draw blood, since the IV she has is a peripheral line in her hand (they cannot draw blood from it; they need a deeper vein). Tomorrow she will get a deeper (central) IV line in her arm.

She had an echocardiogram today and she wasn't too happy about it. Luckily I was able to distract her with some of her favorite Elmo DVDs. She calmed down and even fell asleep toward the end. I almost fell asleep too (the lights are off, the machines are humming, we had full tummies) and I rested my head on the bar of her crib, and she suddenly let out a roar. Yes, our Evie roared. We were watching the Abby Cadabby Dinosaur video, of course, and when those characters ask you roar like a dinosaur, Evie and Gavin do!

I was glad to see her engaged in a "normal" activity! She did fall asleep soon afterward, only to be woken up about 30 minutes later to get a Foley catheter inserted. I don't know why they didn't put one in Monday night.

Here are two more pictures from Monday night - Evie in the ER eating crackers:



In her room in ICU with Nana and Grandpa Cermak:




This was from today:



Of course, I had to re-do her pigtails:



Today I talked to the attending cardiologist and ICU physician and also spoke briefly with the nephrologist. (I got to listen in when they did their round of Evie's room - I thought I'd get kicked out for HIPPA reasons but no! So I thought that was cool.) Their main concern today was getting accurate lab results and deciding what to put in her IV line. Her pulse-ox was in her normal range all day. Hopefully there will be a more concrete plan tomorrow. I also will speak at length with the nephrologist.


One more thing: yesterday Gavin came down with a cold. Of all the days in the year! He is more tired and out-of-sorts and just wants me. Grandpa and Grandma Cordes did a great job of entertaining him today but by mid-afternoon, he was ready for me to get home.

4 comments:

TempusFam said...

Saying prayers for you guys! Evie is the strongest little girl I know! :) With some strong parents too! Hope Gavin gets to feeling better too - hang in there - everyone of you! Hugs and Kisses from the Tempus Fam!

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you guys too. There is so much to learn from our children their strength and trust is amazing. Hugs and Kisses to Evie & Gavin from the Annos.

Mark Cordes said...

Fran and Sharon, You're both doing a great job of taking care of the twins. I'm praying for Evie and hope she recovers from her dehydration and electrolyte problems. It's been such a tough road for her! Love, mark Cordes

Miss Ellen said...

Oh, my Schmoopies! I hope the antibiotics have kicked in for Gavin and Evie finally is getting less puffy. I missed you guys this week. Hopefully both of you will be feeling better soon and we'll have a fun play date again soon.