Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Evie Post-Op Update #1

I am happy to report that Evie is doing REALLY well! Her breathing tube was removed this morning, as well as her NG tube. She is still on the powerful medications but the nurses will start decreasing them soon. Her nurse gave her a small amount of the blood I donated for her (about 2 ounces) to boost her hemoglobin level. They will repeat this process one more time tonight - it is not uncommon for heart babies to need a little blood post-op. Her oxygen levels were in the 70's while I was there. She's awake, trying to pull out her oxygen canula, and trying to look at everything...but what she wanted most was food.


She was sleeping when I arrived this morning. The nurse told me that they have a music therapy person who played guitar for her, and that's how she fell asleep!


Here she is taking Pedialyte from the nurse. She had not had anything but IV fluids, and she was getting really hungry. So at 10:30, her nurse gave her the Pedialyte. She took 4 ounces of the unflavored stuff, which she hates, so that tells you just how hungry she was. Then we got her to sleep in a bouncy chair, below:


She slept for an hour and a half (& I took a catnap too)!


Doesn't she look amazing for 24 hours post-op? I did not realize what a difference 3 months would make. She is so much stronger than she was in February!


I was showing her pictures of Gavin and she was excited to look at him. I took a video of this as well:


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go get'em, Evie! Everyone wants you home soon.
Blessings to all of you.
Judy Eipers

Anonymous said...

We are SO glad to hear that everything went well! :) It looks like they take such good care of her in the hospital - from the music therapy (LOVE IT!) to the bouncy chair to the pics of Gavin - my heartstrings are being tugged so hard! Sending you warm wishes and many blessings for a continued strong recovery for Ms. Evie! We love you guys!

Beth, Jimmy & Frankie T

Anonymous said...

Well, of course she's hungry! She's a girl after my own heart, with a good appetite! Evie, you look great! What a little trooper!
--Gina G.

Anonymous said...

The most beautiful little girl in the whole world, and the strongest too. Your Godfathers can't wait to see you, Evie! We love you SO much!! love from Uncle David & Uncle Brad, and cousins Phantom and Phoebe Jean

Anonymous said...

Sharon and Fran you are so strong. I am so proud of you. I try to imagine all those tubes coming from my new baby....I would be a basket case, mess. But you hold it together, take care of another one, and keep us all updated on the blog.
Honestly, you are such wonderful and strong parents...
:-) Misty