Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 15: A Magical Hour, A Great Day!

Here is Evie, glaring at her nurse after getting suctioned - notice also that she no longer has that rectangular sensor stuck to her forehead (she pulled it off):


Notice anything else??? No more breathing tube in her mouth! She was taken off her ventilator this morning - another huge step!

And the best part - her nurse let me hold her, even though she is still attached to six things:


Ah, finally - resting with Mommy!


It is hard for me to describe how good it felt to hold her. I decided it was kind of like when I was pregnant: I couldn't wait to hold the twins and would imagine what it would be like. Then, when they were born and I gazed into their sweet faces, I felt a rush of emotion. I couldn't stop looking at her cute little face and I cherished every second that she was in my arms today.


Evie may look "out of it" to some of you, but to us and her doctors, she looks wonderful. She is going through withdrawl from her painkillers so her hands are shaky and a bit uncoordinated. She is also working hard to breathe, because the ventilator has been doing the work of her lungs for 2 weeks. She sounds raspy and has yucky secretions in her throat that need to be suctioned out. All these things are not uncommon and will improve in the next few days.



I was glad she wanted to sit up in my lap, because that will help her cough some of that stuff up. Also, she was watching everyone walk by in the hallway and playing with her plastic rings. Then she started yawning and getting sleepy:



The next steps are to take out her catheter and her groin IV line tomorrow (Saturday), and also give her formula through her NG tube. Uncle David and I are going to drive through tomorrow's predicted snowstorm to see her - we can't wait!

After I got home from the hospital, I took Gavin to our friend Laura's house for a playdate with her triplets, Lindsey, Maya, and Brandon:


They had fun sticking decals on the front storm door:


Time for a snack!


All the kids were a bit shy at first, but Gavin enjoyed playing with different toys. We can't wait to go back when Evie is better!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon ----- WHAT GREAT NEWS -- and what beautiful photos of little Evie. Just love those chubby thighs --- she's a true Bohemian to the core!!!!! It is so rewarding to see her in your arms! God certainly has been there holding your hands throughout this ordeal. Hurry home so we can see the two little ones playing together again. Berni

JuliaS said...

So glad to hear the good news and so happy to hear you are able to hold Evie now too.

Continued prayers and good wishes.

Julia & Matt Schuck