Friday, February 6, 2009

Surgery Update: 1:00AM - Hope and Pray

We were finally able to see Evie about 1am and she seemed to be resting comfortably. In the photo below you can see all of her I-V lines connected to her thighs and ankles, the bandage covering the main incision in her chest, below that are the two chest tubes that drain fluid, and finally you can see the thick tubes running containing her blood that is being sent to the ECMO machine. They decided not to make separate incisions into her neck, but to run the ECMO lines directly to her vena cava.



Below is a photo of the ECMO machine. The big blue object in the background is some sort of battery. The two main parts of this machine is the thing that looks like a water bottle in the upper right-hand corner (which acts as an artificial valve in a heart would) and the red/white spiral cone in the lower center that looks like peppermint candy, and which basically acts like the lung. It's there that the blood is mixed with oxygen and then sent back to the body.





Here's a close up of the artificial lung. You can see to sets of thick tubes running parallel and filled with blood. The blood in the top tube is lighter and brighter in color; that's freshly oxygenated (red) blood being sent back to Evie's body. The bottom tube is deoxygenated (blue) blood that has just come from the body and is on its way to the artificial lung. The blood is also warmed right before it gets mixed with oxygen.




What may not appear odd to anyone other than Sharon and I is Evie's skin color in these photos. Because the ECMO machine is more efficient than Evie's own body at oxygenating her blood, her flesh tone appears to be a normal, healthy pink (especially her hands and feet). Which, of course, is odd to Sharon and I because typically she is slightly darker, dusky hue at home.




Evie will probably wake up sometime on Friday around Noon-2PM. Although she'll be awake and slightly moving, she will be heavily sedated. Dr. Ilbawi wants to try her on the ECMO for about 3 days to let her heart and lungs heal. Hopefully she'll be ready to come off of the machine then. Please pray for her quick recovery!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of David's and just wanted to know I have your little angel in my prayers. Thank you for the touching updates, I can not even imagine- but it looks like you are working with the best. The technology and machines just amaze me- but the courage of your little one and your family amazes me more!
Lisa Stoner (in maryland)

Anonymous said...

Evie, your Uncles know you can improve and come off that machine! You are the strongest little girl we know and we love you so much. We are praying for you can look forward to seeing you this weekend. love from Uncles David and Brad

Unknown said...

Please know that we've been praying for Evie. She is a strong willed little girl, and God will help her get through this. We love you guys and are right around the corner if you need anything...

Love.
Mark, Katy and Paige

Anonymous said...

Please know that I've been praying for your precious little Evie and will continue to do so. I'm sure she is feeling all the love - on heaven and earth - that surrounds her.
May God bless all of you,

Joan (a friend of Nana Cermak from Benedictine)

Anonymous said...

Still praying over here! My husband Matt had open heart surgery when he was only 2 (you'd never know it now!)....I can only imagine what his parents went through, and can't imagine what this must be like for you all....Keep us updated, we will keep praying! Hang in there, Evie! Love,
Gina G

Anonymous said...

Oh Fran and Sharon....
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers! I've so enjoyed watching her grow over the past year + and can't wait to see her overcome this and continue to watch her grow more over the next decades of her life!!!!!

Megan G

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Evie that God will watch over her as she recovers from the surgery. May God Bless you and give you strength.

Bob and Olga R.

Anonymous said...

You are in our hearts Evie! We're thinking and praying for you. We are friends with your uncles and we look forward to experiencing their joy, pride and love they have for you and your brother for many, many, many years!
Johanne and Nancy

Janet Mendell-Hartung said...

I am a friend of Nana Cermak (I'm Janet, and I worked with Marilyn in reslife at Benedictine, she was like a second mom to me). We keep in touch and she shared your blog with me and I have been an avid reader, I have a son around the same age, and I enjoy seeing how Gavin and Evie are doing. I wanted you to know that Evie and all of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Many many prayers being sent your way. We love you are thinking of you all constantly! God be with you during this time,
Jimmy, Beth & Frankie

realist said...

I am Grandpa Victor's first cousin in Michigan.

I am praying for Evie to recover quickly and to heal in all the essential ways from this difficult surgery.

Oh my goodness, this is so difficult to see your precious little one bravely going through all of this.

It sounds like her care is top-notch and I'd like to believe that her great-grandfather's spirit is there with her great-grandmother offering love and medical healing energy to Evie.

Ticia

Pops said...

Don't know the twins personally, but I do know their Uncle (?) Dave.
That photo gives me chills but I know that in the long run this will be a distant memory.
Little lady you are in our thoughts...

NC Rosols said...

Evie -- we're your cousins Phil and Marlene Rosol in North Carolina. You're an adorable, strong, and very brave little girl and we've been saying healing prayers for you. Our thoughts and wishes are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I want you to know Evie and the entire family is our thoughts and prayers. The girls are even praying for you all. I will also ask my religious education classes to pray for her as well! If there is anything you need, please reach out, I only live a few miles away! God bless. Thinking of you!!!!!

Love,
Kim Harris

JuliaS said...

Oh sweet baby. Our best wishes and prayers that she recovers fully, quickly and well. Prayers for you also for strength and comfort. There is very little in this life harder than handing your baby off for surgery and then having to wait and hope afterward that they heal as they are suppose to.

Julia & Matt S. (from AOW)

reese55 said...

We're praying really hard for you all. Looking at these pictures and hearing about all of this is hard, so I can't even imagine having to go through it. We love your kids like they're our own and it's so sad to see little Evie attached to all those wires, but she's the strongest baby we know. She's going to come off that machine and be better than ever. Sending lots of love and thoughts your way. We love you guys. Caresse & Christian