Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Post-Op Day 6: Test Results Coming In

Quick update. We're having a "staffing meeting" with Dr. Ilbawi, other surgeons and nurses today to go over tests and future treatment plans; sometime between 2-3pm today.

Last night a nurse told me that during the rigid bronchoscopy, they identified a very small blood vessel (that she called an "extra bronchia above the corinia", which is where your bronchial tube splits) is the one that is slowly bleeding and is responsible for the blood in her lungs and ET tube. The transesophageal echo seemed to confirm this. However, it's so small that they could not reach it with a cauterizer. So how are they going to stop it from bleeding? Perhaps via a cardiac catheter, but that is difficult when someone is on an ECMO like Evie is.

So, the good news was that it is a very small vessel and not some major artery gushing blood. As to why and how it's bleeding? It could have happened any number of ways; most likely during the heart surgery. I haven't heard this from the docs yet, but it's the best explanation I've got so far.

They're putting iced epinephrine down her ET tube every six hours (which is a constricting agent), as well has suctioning her every four hours with an ice saline solution, all in the hope that it might help this bleeding vessel clot up.

I'll post more after our meeting this afternoon.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a step in the right direction. We are thinking of you guys, and praying for a quick and speedy recovery for Evie. We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for good news. I pray that she will soon be at home with you guys- and with Gavin! I can't even imagine how confused he is.

Anonymous said...

What a difficult time for all of you. God Bless Evie during her recovery. You are all in our prayers.

Bob and Olga

NC Rosols said...

Phil and I are praying for you and Evie. Gavin is also in my thoughts - as a twin I know how difficult it is to be apart. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

We are all praying for Evie's strength, healing, and a full recovery. God bless Evie and the family!!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Frankie and I say prayers for Evie every time I change him! :} We have a "Prayer Buddy" teddy bear on his changing table. Frankie holds him and when you squeeze his tummy he says (in a child's voice) "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. May angels watch me through the night, until I wake, in morning light. Amen." We dedicate this prayer - everytime - to Evie! We love you!
Beth, Jimmy & Frankie

Kelly et Julien said...

This is encouraging news and we hope Evie will get much better very soon. Kelly and I send her our best thoughts and can't wait to see her together with Gavin again.
Julien (&Kelly, + Felix & Pierre)